Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Johnny Depp Plays Ghoulish Mass Murderer

In a film adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical, Sweeney Todd, as ever, Depp's metamorphosis into the the vicious barber who collected human parts for Mrs. Lovett's meat pies, is completely authentic.

With his pale face, sunken eyes, and shock of dark hair punctuated by a Mallen streak, Depp looks terrifyingly authentic as the 19th century mass murderer.

Edward Scissorhands director Tim Burton has managed to enlist Depp to create a faithful film adaptation in which most of the action unfolds in song. Depp was a revelation, and surprised himself with his singing ability.

He said: "I knew I could stay in key to some degree. But I didn't know if I could sustain a note, or belt one out."

Sweeney Todd spins a gruesome tale of vengeance in 19th-century London. Director Burton insisted on lashings of blood as his ghoulish barber slashed clients in the gory scenes.


Yikes! Not sure if I'll be first in line to see this one. I don't know how I feel about putting mass murder to music.

Source

Labels: ,

 
posted by Eeyore at 7:20 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: